Tuesday 18 January 2011

I speak pidgin technology - tweet tweet (did you see what I did there?)

I feel like an outsider, partially understanding a fraction of what I am doing, but wholly understanding my almost complete ignorance of it! 

I chat on a forum, where advice regarding blogging, tweeting, flickr groups and the linking of all of the aforementioned are common place. People are willing, eager even, to share their knowledge and conect themselves to others wirelessly through this wonderful medium we call the web.  They are a kindly bunch, with much patience, Yoda-ish in their manner.  Yet despite all this sharing of knowledge, I feel, as if much of it, is in some mystical language to which I am not party.  As though some unspoken initiation test has yet to be successfully completed, whereon the fog that is cyberspace, will clear and I will gain understanding and clarity and ultimately Jedi status (well not quite, but you get the drift). 

I see myself in all my techno-confusion as the character played by Rowan Atkinson in a 'Not the Nine O'clock News' sketch, who is trying to buy new speakers for his sound system (you remember them - built like tanks), only to be humiliated for his ignorance of modernity by the two serving on, who eventually tell him to go home and play his gramophone Grandad!

... and on that note I'm going to dust off one of my old LPs, and have a Marathon bar (what the hell is a Snickers anyway) and no, I am not a Grandma, well not to the best of my knowledge anyway!

Or on second thoughts a large glass of wine!
http://www.gaysiemay.etsy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment